Social Media Guide for Employees & Brand Ambassadors: Posting Tips for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & LinkedIn
This blog is part two of our Social Media Guide for Employees & Brand Ambassadors series. In it, TM breaks down posting tips for each major social platform.
By the end of this blog, you’ll know how to use each platform, and be ready to create and publish the perfect post.
Facebook is the world’s most used social platform. This platform’s intent is to bring individuals across the globe together. Facebook is also the best social platform for brands to promote their products and services.
Some Super Facebook Stats
- Facebook has 1.92 billion daily users, with 79% of Americans using the platform.
- Facebook is the perfect platform to achieve business goals: reach, brand exposure, website traffic, and lead generation.
- Facebook’s demographic includes 83% women and 75% men.
- 83% of users are under 45 years old.
- Facebook Pages has 50 million businesses utilizing the service for online exposure.
- Facebook users access this platform an average of 8 times per day.
- Brands also post on Facebook an average of 8 times per day.
- Facebook leads consumerism when it comes to social media platforms. Social media influences shopping by 44%.
- Facebook is the “most important” social platform for marketers. 62% of all marketers report using Facebook in their overall marketing strategy.
Best Practice Posting Tips for Facebook
To use Facebook, brand ambassadors should share posts, images, and videos related to the brand and its audience by following these best practice tips.
Write compelling and interesting posts.
- Facebook posts should start with a compelling caption to grab social users’ attention. The post should include visual elements and a call to action. By including a call to action, you’ll have a better chance of encouraging users to click through and “convert,” depending on what the goals are you have set.
- Posts should be short and specific to the message you want to convey. Facebook doesn’t limit the number of characters, but a 40-character Facebook post will receive 86% more engagement over others.
Include photos and videos, when possible.
- Photos and videos add an extra element to entice users to engage with your posts. These visual elements should be relevant and add significance. All visual elements should:
- Be the proper size and resolution for clarity (no one likes a blurry photo)
- Showcase an action to give insight on the post
- Invoke an emotion; such as informing viewers or connecting to an individual on a personal level
Post consistently and frequently.
- According to Sprout Social, brands looking to build engagement and make impressions should post twice a day. Posting consistently and frequently increases the brand’s chances of improving their reach, engagement percentages, and clicks – which are all very important.
Twitter is a social networking platform where social users and brands “Tweet” and interact in short, composed messages. Once Tweets publish, they show up in your Twitter Feed. Tweets from everyone you follow will show up in your feed as well.
Super Twitter Stats & Facts
- Twitter has about 330 million monthly active users, who are more likely to be Millennials, in college, or have a college degree.
- Twitter’s population consists of 21% men and 21% women, who are likely to live in a city.
- Twitter users most commonly use the platform via their mobile app.
- Twitter users tweet like crazy, but use the search functionality, even more, to seek out news, information, and discover new things.
- Twitter has become very important for customer service.
- Twitter social users are more likely to retweet tweets with videos.
- Twitter can influence buying decisions in its social users.
Best Posting Tips & Practices for Twitter
To use Twitter, brand ambassadors should share tweets, images, and videos related to the brand and their audience by following these best practice tips.
Write short, concise brand tweets.
- Twitter only allows tweets in the length of 280 characters, which isn’t a lot.
- Brand ambassadors should focus on writing short, concise messages with a call to action. These call to actions help readers absorb information quickly.
Include relevant hashtags.
- Hashtags are clickable and searchable short phrases related to posts, such as #socialmedia.
- Phrases can include the brand’s name, industry, brand synonyms, and other related terms, so social users can easily recognize specific brands.
- Hashtags also improve posts’ visibility and allow social users to interact with the brand’s page, and even website!
- Twitter recommends using no more than two hashtags per tweet.
Use visual elements, like photos and videos.
- Visual elements, such as photos and videos, are important to include, as well. Visual aspects are becoming more popular than reading the basic text.
- Photos and videos add context to what the tweet is already saying.
Proofread again and again.
- Twitter doesn’t allow editing after tweets publish, so brand ambassadors need to be sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
- Always make sure the information employees are sharing is correct, as well. If they’ve tweeted something that’s incorrect, make sure they address the mistake quickly, even if it means taking the Tweet down.
Instagram is a visual-sharing social platform, which allows social users to post photos and videos. To make sure brands are reaching their social goals like awareness, website traffic, or lead conversions, it’s imperative brands post high-quality photos that represent themselves, while also telling a story.
Impressive Instagram Stats
- Instagram has 1 billion users and the highest interaction rate amongst the other platforms.
- Instagram’s demographics include:
- 38% of women
- 26% of men
- 59% of users are under 30 in the U.S.
- 80% of users come from outside of the U.S.
- Instagram users share 95 million posts per day while liking over 4.2 billion posts per day.
- Brands on Instagram like telling stories just as much as users.
- Instagram has 25 million business profiles, and 80% of social users follow a business account.
- Instagram’s top brands post content about 4-5 times a week.
- Instagram states 60% of social users find new products, while 75% of social users take action after visiting a post.
- Instagram estimates 71% of US businesses use the social platform.
- 7 out of 10 hashtags are branded.
- Instagram posts with an included location get 79% more engagement.
- Instagram photos with faces receive 38% more likes.
Best Tips & Posting Practices For Instagram
Employees and brand ambassadors should share images and videos related to the brand and its audience by following these best practice tips.
Upload high-quality photos.
This is the first and most important step to posting on Instagram. High quality and relatable photos are most favorable. There are plenty of options for finding great photos, such as:
- Taking your own with a smartphone or DSLR camera.
- Finding photos on stock photo websites, like UnSplash.
Using quality photos allow the brands’ profile feed to maintain its professional image and brand messaging.
Write short, engaging story captions.
- Writing an engaging caption allows the brand’s followers to understand how the photo connects to the brand’s story.
- Captions do not necessarily need to have a perfect length. On Instagram, captions can be as long or as short as you want them.
Include relevant hashtags.
- As mentioned earlier, hashtags are critical for a post’s visibility and searchability. It helps to increase overall engagement.
- Hashtags allow interested social users who are searching for a particular brand to access various posts with the included hashtag.
- When posting, Instagram suggests including 5-10 relevant hashtags for your brand’s post.
LinkedIn is a social platform dedicated to business professionals and employers. This platform shares various opportunities, such as job openings, company, and industry updates. LinkedIn speaks to a tailored audience; when brand ambassadors share posts, the brand’s tone is necessary.
Life-Changing LinkedIn Stats
Okay, we’re joking. These stats aren’t going to change your life, but they are pretty interesting.
- LinkedIn has over 500 million members, with 260 million users logging in each month.
- 3 million users share content weekly.
- 40% of LinkedIn users are on the platform daily.
- LinkedIn is the #1 channel B2B marketers use. 94% of B2B marketers report it’s an important part of their content distribution strategy.
- LinkedIn’s average post length is 248 characters.
- LinkedIn is a good source to generate leads for businesses.
- LinkedIn has 1 million users who have published articles. How-to’s and list posts perform the best.
- LinkedIn posts split into 5, 7, 9 headings perform the best.
- LinkedIn articles, with titles between 40-49 characters, perform the best on LinkedIn.
- Posts with exactly 8 images outperform the rest.
- LinkedIn articles without video perform better than those with video.
- LinkedIn has stated 71.5% of social users are located outside of the U.S.
- LinkedIn’s demographics include: 56% men and 44% women.
- 94% of B2B marketers users distribute their content on LinkedIn.
- Company pages are used by companies 57% of the time.
- 50% of B2B buyers report they use LinkedIn when making purchasing decisions.
Best Tips & Practices for Posting on LinkedIn
Employees and brand ambassadors should post professional information, such as blog articles, opinion pieces, and business news, related to the brand and their audience by following these best practice tips.
Share business news specific to the brand and its industry
- Brands should inform their LinkedIn audience of current news and updates in a news-style manner and by speaking in a present tone.
- LinkedIn suggests posting daily (M-F) to maximize exposure.
- Brand ambassadors can write captions and content in a professional style at any length, as long as it remains true to the subject. These posts can model the brand’s Facebook posts.
Share events and community work.
- Brands and companies should share community involvement and updates to mix up their everyday content. This might include blog posts and professional articles.
Create LinkedIn-specific content.
- As noted above, articles such as thought-leadership articles, how-to’s, and list posts perform exceptionally well on LinkedIn.
- Creating specific articles around the above article styles will help the brand’s exposure and engagement on this platform.
So, What’s Next?
TM has laid out the necessary information and tips needed to start rocking out awesome and informational content for your brand’s social media platforms! Remember, social media is a large group conversation with social users, like you, who interact with other social users and brands. Let these tips guide you into content to reach your brand’s marketing and social goals.
If employees post about your business, or on your behalf, always make sure they understand social media best practices and are posting with a positive intent.
Brand ambassadors should remember to include the following in all social media posts to increase the brand’s online presence:
- Compelling captions and call to actions
- High-resolution visual elements
- Relevant hashtags
- Tag mentioned brands or companies
- Tag the business location, if possible
- Check for spelling and grammatical errors before publishing
For additional questions and social media assistance, contact TM today! We assist with crafting social media strategies and campaigns.