Used in 20% of all e-commerce websites, Magento is the most popular e-commerce platform used today. Operating as an open source product, Magento’s original code is freely available to anyone who wishes to use it. With the ability to add to, or modify the platform in its current state, business owners can customize their Magento configuration to meet the particular needs of their website.
Being an open source community, Magento is open to any individual looking to share their own opinions, tips, tricks, or questions. Also allowing for unlimited product downloads and easy product management, the Magento interface is easy to use and comes with many tutorial videos, documents, and a full installation wizard.
Don’t let the “open source” tagline fool you; Magento is not easy to use if you’re a web development beginner. The platform adds an extra degree of difficulty by way of extensions, which gives you the ability to add to your website as business grows. These extensions create a superior shopping experience for your clients, and are best handled by a developer that specializes in Magento.
The Magento Shopping Cart
Magento even takes the general shopping cart feature one step further with the ability to cross-sell or up-sell products, compare products with others, add discount codes, and even use an advanced filter to navigate selections. If more than one store is available in your business, you can also view them all on the same account, with one localized store version.
You’re also able to easily install Google Analytics for the Magento platform in order to properly see the success of your business as a whole.
How Much Does a Magento Build Cost?
We’ve already mentioned that Magento websites aren’t for those with a bare-bones web development budget and we aren’t going to skirt around the subject. It’s a general consensus among web developers that the Magento platform offers the best options and basic features, but also requires an investment to create the perfect website that’ll be the best ROI for your business.
- Hiring an off-shore developer will always cost less than hiring a professional web development team. However, going with the first option risks the quality and longevity of your website. You may never receive your site in full, either.
- Have a budget and project scope in mind before you reach out to an agency for a quote. Understanding exactly what you’re looking for helps us determine the correct estimate for you. Please understand that we aren’t trying to just take all the money in your pocket; Magento builds can range from tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Understanding your project scope will help us accurately estimate your project cost.
- A brick-and-mortar retail store can cost a million dollars to operate per year when you consider paying your employees, building cost, and inventory costs (to name a few). Owning an e-commerce website eliminates much of this overhead and can generate revenue many times over, when compared to a brick-and-mortar location.
- Developers who fully understand and build Magento websites well are very rare. It is for this reason that hiring an agency that understands the ins-and-outs of Magento development is an investment, as is the website itself.
A basic Magento build will cost you anywhere from $25,000-$35,000 depending on your particular needs. Now, projects with larger scopes and needs may have a price tag that’s four times as much. We’ll need to sit down to figure out exactly what you need and what your expectations are regarding your project (and budget).
Always make sure you’re researching to find as much information out about the agency you choose, their processes, and definitely ask to see some portfolio pieces! Your investment is as valuable as your business itself!
If you’re ready to begin your Magento development project, request a free quote!
Magento has one of the most extensive feature lists you’ll find when it comes to e-commerce software, which is why it’s a platform that’s generally used by large corporations or businesses with a healthy budget.
Magento’s Top Features
- Marketing, Promotions, and Conversions Tools
- Site Management
- Catalog Management
- Catalog Browsing
- Product Browsing
- Checkout, Payment, and Shipping
- Order Management
- Customer Accounts
- International Support
- Customer Service
- Analytics and Reporting
- Mobile Commerce
- 100% search engine friendly
- Google Content API for shopping
- Google Sitemap
- Search engine friendly URL’s
- Meta-information for products, categories, and content pages
- Auto-generated sitemap for display on site
- Auto-generated popular search terms page
Magento Enterprise Exclusive Features
- Customer Segmentation, Targeted Promotions, and Merchandising
- Dynamic Rule Based Product Relations
- Automated Email Marketing Reminder
- Private Sales
- Gift Registry
- Rewards Points
- Store Credits
- Multiple Wish Lists
View the entire list of Magento Features.