Do you know what all good SEO experts have in common? Self-education. And every modern search engine optimizer knows that their biggest job responsibility is their ability to adapt. SEO moves at lightening speed, there is perhaps no other industry that is forced to learn and adopt new strategies as frequently. Whether you are just getting started, have intermediate skills or you’ve been in the game for decades, there’s a lot to know and there will be more tomorrow. Let the learning begin…
Resources to help you learn, master and stay up to date on SEO practices.
Learn, Understand & Master SEO:
- Beginners Guide to SEO – This guide created by MOZ has been read over a million times and rightfully so. MOZ does a stellar job of explaining SEO accurately with this in-depth and easy to understand tutorial.
- Google’s Webmaster Answers/ Google Webmaster Academy
- Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide by Google
- Quick Sprout- Advanced Guide to SEO – This infographic style guide to SEO is perfect for a quick glance at advanced practices.
- The Art of SEO – There’s not an SEO expert in sight that doesn’t have this book in their collection. It is lengthy, explanatory and most definitely necessary.
- Search Engine Land – Daily updates on search engine industry news and trends.
- Search Engine Journal– Provides helpful tips and information with relevant industry news, analysis and commentary.
- Google Algorithm Changes & Updates– Has your site traffic dropped dramatically? A good rule of thumb is to check here first. With every Google algorithm update, chances are it will effect your site in one way or another.
- Google Webmaster Central Blog– Google’s blog on crawling, indexing and webmaster tools.
- Trademark Productions Blog for SEO– These dudes know their stuff.
Must- Have Tools:
- Google Trends – Great for keyword research
- Screaming Frog- This handy tool crawls websites and compiles data on links, images, apps, etc., from an SEO perspective.
- SEMrush – A web service that allows you to enter a URL and view various SEO metrics that help give you insight on how to improve your SEO practices. Also great for competitive analysis.
- Google Webmaster Tools- Give you detailed reports, data and analytics about the pages crawled by Google.
- Google Analytics– GA provides a comprehensive look at your websites traffic and traffic sources with detailed and measurable data.
- Page Speed– This helpful tool allows you to easily test the page speed of any website.
- Mobile –friendly (New!)– Similar to the page speed tool, this mobile-friendly tester tool from Google will analyze a URL and report if the website has a mobile-friendly design.