Think of your website as your car. To ensure it runs smoothly, it is best to get it routinely examined. Just like a car a website also needs to be examined for the exact same reason. It is not enough to simply create a website and think that people will actually view it. There is no easy fix for maintaining your website and it takes some serious work to make sure it stays current with the ever-changing internet community, but if you can schedule some monthly or weekly tune ups then your site can create more opportunities for you.
1. Start off by first examining your Meta tags. This includes the Title and Description tags. It is important to make sure that every page on your site has not only unique content, but also Title and Description tags that reflect the page. This is one of the most critical areas that search engines look over. Your tags should include keywords and geo-specific information. This is very easy to do if you have not done this already and it does not take a long time.
2. Perform your own searches. If you are selling costumes then simply plug in your keyword(s) (costumes) and search on a global and geo- specific scale to examine backlinks that you and your competitors are using. You can search for a free backlink checker that will show you a list of sites that your competitors are linked to. It is important to check this because you want to stay current with your competitors and ensure that you are on the right track.
3. Verify your links to make sure there are not any problems or “broken links”. You can use a free online program to help you out. Simply go to a search engine and look for a free link checker to verify that everything is running correctly.
4. Google Analytics is a very simple tool to use that can give you very valuable information about why people are visiting your site, what keywords they are using to get there, how they were referred to your site, how long they viewed your site and more. All you are required to do is sign-up and paste a unique code into your HTML that will instantly track everything for you. With this information you can easily figure out what keywords people are using to find your site and tweak your website to target specific markets. The best part is that this service is FREE for you to use.
5. Alexa is another tool that helps to monitor traffic levels of your website. It is a database of information about sites that includes statistics, related links and more. You can download the Alexa toolbar and quickly monitor your results. Find ways to encourage visitors to your site to help boost your ranking.
Overall, these are simple tips that if you utilize correctly can deliver great results for your company or client you are representing. Keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed, but if you apply these techniques to your marketing strategy you will see improvements.
If you’re in need of some SEO help, contact us today.