Whether talking about SEO, Internet Marketing, Web Design, E-Commerce or any of the other dozens of things that we know about, we get a lot of questions. Really though, they all come down to one question… How do I succeed online? So…you want to succeed online, do ya? It’s a lot like losing weight or remodeling your house. You just need to lay out a game plan and stick to it.
Being a success on the internet is relative to how you define success. But usually when someone says. “I want to succeed online”, they mean I want more traffic to my website, I want more leads and/or I want to sell more stuff. I’ll assume that if you’re reading this that this is your definition of succeeding online too. If it’s not we need to talk so I can give you some different pointers.
So what is this magical game plan and what’s really involved to make your website rock and making yourself rich and famous? Well, I’m not going to give you all the answers because everyone’s situation is different. But, I am going to give you some really good pointers to get your website headed in the right direction.
Because of the amount of content to go over, I’m going to make this a series of articles so you don’t get burned out. If you want to talk about these pointers some more or need help filling in the blanks get in touch with me via LinkedIn or fill out a quick contact form.
Ready to get started? Stand up and stretch, grab yourself another cup of coffee, and find some paper and a pen. We’ve got some work to do!
What’s Your Plan?
This is a tough one and it requires a lot of thought on your part. Almost every website owner I know, myself included, is guilty of skipping this step or taking it too lightly. Why? Because it’s hard and it takes awhile and we all want things to be easy. Success is not easy. Don’t think that you’re going to just launch a website with this “great” idea you had and be rich and famous in a year. It’s not going to happen.
Starting a website or online business is just like starting a brick and mortar business. I’ve said this a thousand times, let’s make it 1,001…you have to plan your website just like you would plan any other business venture.
- What is the purpose of your website (business)?
- Where’s your business going to be located? (domain name and hosting = address and neighborhood)
- Who is your competition and what makes you special? This doesn’t mean your competitor Bob down the street…who is your online competition?
- What’s your budget, both for starting your business and your marketing/operational costs? A website is not a one shot deal.
- How many man hours do you need to dedicate to your website? Do you have enough time? Do you need employees?
- Are there any legal or accounting considerations for your website? Do you have the resources to get these done?
- How are you going to monetize your website? Is a positive result sales, leads, or sign-ups? How many?
- Do you have good tracking tools put into place to see if your website is getting the results you expected? A dedicated phone number? Analytics?
These are just some of the questions you need to ask yourself and know the answers to…inside and out. You should put together a business plan and a marketing plan for almost any website and then talk to us or some other professionals to help you fill in the blanks.